Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Oh no you just didn't!!!!

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.
~ Galatians 6:7

I have got to be one of the LEAST prudish people I know...but, maybe like LaShun Pace sang, "I know I've been changed."

Case in point, this song "Amen" by Meek Mill.

I mean, a little organ music in your secular song?

No problem. I mean, I am an '80's baby so "Faith" by George Michael was my jam.

A little church-feeling chord or two in your song about courtin' a young lady?

Once again, noooo problem. (Thanks Ray Charles!)

A little organ music and a churchy-feeling hook in rap song about sexual debauchery, getting drunk and worshiping money? Eh. Do you boo.

But to use "Amen" as a title of such a song? And to holler "Church!" and "Preach!" throughout such a song? And to "Thank God" for all the "bad bitches" and "real niggas" in the building?

To express myself in a Christian manner, I would have to say that "I am offended."

To express my sentiment in a more secular manner -- perhaps this manner might be better understood by the folks responsible for this song and the playing and popularity of this song -- "That's really f*cked up and you wrong for dat."

My worship of God is a huge part of my relationship with Him and I don't appreciate pieces of my workship being used so flippantly.

...Final thought: Whatever happened to real Hip Hop?


No comments:

Post a Comment